Tuesday, January 5, 2010
2010 Thoughts
As we start a new term and a new calendar year I wanted to share some (brief) thoughts. During the break I had some time to reflect on being an educator and my personal philosophy on education. (For Mustard Seed's philosophy on education check out this link on our website http://www.mustardseedschool.org/about/philosophy). My challenge this year is to better integrate my educational philosophy into the day to day affairs of the classroom. So what is my educational philosophy? It has changed quite a bit over the past 12 years and I'm sure it will continue to evolve as I grow as an educator. Two specific beliefs I want reflected in my classroom are: 1. Education should involve the whole student so not only guiding them academically but socially and spiritually as well and 2. Teach students to learn and understand rather than memorize and regurgitate. I will try and post my progress regularly so as to hold myself accountable.