The Red Pyramid
The Red Pyramid was written by Rick Riordan. The Red Pyramid is about Carter and Sadie Kane and is based on Egyptian mythology. Carter and Sadie are brother and sister but don't see each other much. Carter lives with his dad and Sadie lives with her grandparents (their mother died). Julius (their dad) is allowed one day every six months with his daughter. On that day Carter, Sadie, and their dad go to a British Museum and their dad trys to bring their mom back but releases some evil Egyptian gods instead and he is captured by the evilest one, Set. Carter and Sadie have to travel to Egypt then to America fighting Set's minions. Finally, they arrive in Phoniex where they battle Set, who plans to destroy most of the U.S., and rescue their dad. I'm looking forward to reading A Wrinkle in Time.
-IP
Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen
I just finished reading Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen. About a year ago, one of my friends recommended this book to me, so when I saw it on the reading list i decided to try it. And I'm glad i did.
The plot began when Roy, the main character of the story, sees a boy running beside the school bus with no shoes on. Roy is confused. Why isn't this boy on the school bus with everyone else? So Roy decides to find out. At first, his encounters with the shoeless boy are mysterious; obviously, the boy did not want to be discovered. But eventually, Roy and the shoeless boy become friends. Then, an article is printed in the newspaper about the building site for a pancake house being vandalized. Roy has a sense that the shoeless boy, called Mullet Fingers, is behind it. And he's right. Before long, Mullet Fingers shows Roy why he's vandalizing it...and he has a good reason. There is a nest of Burrowing Owls on the site for the pancake house, and the supervisor of the construction site knows about it, but simply does not care. So together, Roy, Mullet Fingers, and Mullet Fingers' sister, Beatrice, show the town the owls. In the end, they decide to, instead of canceling the construction, to move the site.
This book had a big impact on me. I'd never thought kids could make that much of a difference, but this book proved me wrong. I would rate it a 5/5 because the style of writing is sophisticated, yet it's written in a way that kids can understand. I recommend this book to my little brother because he likes books about animals, particularly books about saving them.
I just finished reading Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen. About a year ago, one of my friends recommended this book to me, so when I saw it on the reading list i decided to try it. And I'm glad i did.
The plot began when Roy, the main character of the story, sees a boy running beside the school bus with no shoes on. Roy is confused. Why isn't this boy on the school bus with everyone else? So Roy decides to find out. At first, his encounters with the shoeless boy are mysterious; obviously, the boy did not want to be discovered. But eventually, Roy and the shoeless boy become friends. Then, an article is printed in the newspaper about the building site for a pancake house being vandalized. Roy has a sense that the shoeless boy, called Mullet Fingers, is behind it. And he's right. Before long, Mullet Fingers shows Roy why he's vandalizing it...and he has a good reason. There is a nest of Burrowing Owls on the site for the pancake house, and the supervisor of the construction site knows about it, but simply does not care. So together, Roy, Mullet Fingers, and Mullet Fingers' sister, Beatrice, show the town the owls. In the end, they decide to, instead of canceling the construction, to move the site.
This book had a big impact on me. I'd never thought kids could make that much of a difference, but this book proved me wrong. I would rate it a 5/5 because the style of writing is sophisticated, yet it's written in a way that kids can understand. I recommend this book to my little brother because he likes books about animals, particularly books about saving them.
-ZR