This book was about two boys. Jericho and Josh who is like a brother to him. They are asked to help the club called "Warriors of Distinction" which could lead to them being pledged. They did get to pledge but had to do activities which was basically humiliating to them. The last activate was to jump out a window of a old warehouse. They all did it successfully except Josh. He got up in the window and pretended to fly but he fell right on his head. He died. I liked this book because I always wanted to read more. I would recommend this to someone who would like a book that does not have a happy ending.
MC
Wood-song by Gary Paulsen
When I first decided to read this book, I didn't know that it is an autobiography. I assumed it would be similar to Hatchet; another of Paulsen's books. But it was kind of nice to read an autobiography because i haven't read one in a while. This book was of particular interest to me because I've always wondered about how Gary Paulsen gained the knowledge that gave him the ability to write books about adventure and survival. And now i know.
There are many things that can be learned from dogs. In this book, Gary Paulsen talked a lot about the things his experiences with his dogs have taught him. One lesson is that when it comes to directions, the dog is always right. On of the humorous experiences Paulsen shared in this book was how he learned that lesson. He was running the dogs in preparation for his first Iditarod, a 1180 mile sled race in Alaska, and whenever he came to a divide in the road, although he knew which direction the head dog thought to be the correct one, he deliberately decided to go the opposite way. Finally, the lead dog had had enough, so she intentionally dropped the entire team, the sled, and Paulsen, over a steep drop. Another thing that can be learned from this book is that dogs are always loyal. This was an experience that was a bit harder, for me anyway, to read about. Gary Paulsen had a dog named Storm. Storm was a well-behaved dog who always did his share of the work. He had a way of signaling to Paulsen whether or not he was pleased, and signalling his approval, or his disapproval, of Paulsen's decisions. This signal was a stick in his mouth. Whenever Storm was pleased, he would carry a stick in his mouth. When he was displeased, he would drop the stick. Storm ran miles and miles, never showing that he was tired of carrying the stick with him. Then came the time for Storm to die. It was evident for a long time that Storm was on the road to death. "We had some new dogs and some of them wanted to fight all the time...I did not want Storm to end in violence with them, so when I went on a trip one day, I left Storm tied to his chain. It was a temporary thing, just until I got back, but while I was gone it came upon Storm to end and in the final time of his life he somehow got the chain wrapped around his doghouse so he could not face east, could not do it properly. I saw where he had struggled and torn at the ground...he could not tear the chain out of the ground, could not move the house, could not face east and end it right. And it was my fault and when death came and Storm could not face east he knew I would be upset. Storm knew I would feel bad, and he did the only thing he could do. When I came back the next day, I knew that Storm was gone. Knew before I saw him...I found him next to his house. He had jammed into the side, trying to get around to the east. The earth was torn beneath him, the chain held his head north. But he didn't blame me. I will always blame myself, but Storm did not blame me. His last act, his last thought, was for me. Storm lay dead and in his mouth was a stick, the stick. Our stick." This part of the story really touched me. I think it's very special the someone could be that close to a dog. I also really liked the way Paulsen described it. I could see it happening, as clearly as if it had been me. The last part of the book is a day to day section, similar to a journal, focused only on his first Iditarod race. That is the only part of the book I would change. I think that, insignificant as this might be, I want to know more details and less information about distances and stuff.
Paulsen is the kind of writer that can make you cry when he shares a sad experience, and nearly jump for joy when he shares a happy one. I am really glad i got to read this book. I rate it a 5 out of 5 because, again, his way of writing is so clear that I could be the one who'd had the experience he's sharing. I recommend this book to my little brother because he likes books about animals and I think he would enjoy the parts about the race, which he took great interest in after he studied it in third grade.
Wood-song by Gary Paulsen
When I first decided to read this book, I didn't know that it is an autobiography. I assumed it would be similar to Hatchet; another of Paulsen's books. But it was kind of nice to read an autobiography because i haven't read one in a while. This book was of particular interest to me because I've always wondered about how Gary Paulsen gained the knowledge that gave him the ability to write books about adventure and survival. And now i know.
There are many things that can be learned from dogs. In this book, Gary Paulsen talked a lot about the things his experiences with his dogs have taught him. One lesson is that when it comes to directions, the dog is always right. On of the humorous experiences Paulsen shared in this book was how he learned that lesson. He was running the dogs in preparation for his first Iditarod, a 1180 mile sled race in Alaska, and whenever he came to a divide in the road, although he knew which direction the head dog thought to be the correct one, he deliberately decided to go the opposite way. Finally, the lead dog had had enough, so she intentionally dropped the entire team, the sled, and Paulsen, over a steep drop. Another thing that can be learned from this book is that dogs are always loyal. This was an experience that was a bit harder, for me anyway, to read about. Gary Paulsen had a dog named Storm. Storm was a well-behaved dog who always did his share of the work. He had a way of signaling to Paulsen whether or not he was pleased, and signalling his approval, or his disapproval, of Paulsen's decisions. This signal was a stick in his mouth. Whenever Storm was pleased, he would carry a stick in his mouth. When he was displeased, he would drop the stick. Storm ran miles and miles, never showing that he was tired of carrying the stick with him. Then came the time for Storm to die. It was evident for a long time that Storm was on the road to death. "We had some new dogs and some of them wanted to fight all the time...I did not want Storm to end in violence with them, so when I went on a trip one day, I left Storm tied to his chain. It was a temporary thing, just until I got back, but while I was gone it came upon Storm to end and in the final time of his life he somehow got the chain wrapped around his doghouse so he could not face east, could not do it properly. I saw where he had struggled and torn at the ground...he could not tear the chain out of the ground, could not move the house, could not face east and end it right. And it was my fault and when death came and Storm could not face east he knew I would be upset. Storm knew I would feel bad, and he did the only thing he could do. When I came back the next day, I knew that Storm was gone. Knew before I saw him...I found him next to his house. He had jammed into the side, trying to get around to the east. The earth was torn beneath him, the chain held his head north. But he didn't blame me. I will always blame myself, but Storm did not blame me. His last act, his last thought, was for me. Storm lay dead and in his mouth was a stick, the stick. Our stick." This part of the story really touched me. I think it's very special the someone could be that close to a dog. I also really liked the way Paulsen described it. I could see it happening, as clearly as if it had been me. The last part of the book is a day to day section, similar to a journal, focused only on his first Iditarod race. That is the only part of the book I would change. I think that, insignificant as this might be, I want to know more details and less information about distances and stuff.
Paulsen is the kind of writer that can make you cry when he shares a sad experience, and nearly jump for joy when he shares a happy one. I am really glad i got to read this book. I rate it a 5 out of 5 because, again, his way of writing is so clear that I could be the one who'd had the experience he's sharing. I recommend this book to my little brother because he likes books about animals and I think he would enjoy the parts about the race, which he took great interest in after he studied it in third grade.
ZR